Saturday, January 28, 2012

Painting night

So this is embarrassing... In November, the book club girls and I decided to go crazy on a Thursday night and attend a painting party at a nearby restaurant. It's one of those deals where you take your own food and wine and follow the instructor's steps until each person has completed her very own work of art (I use the term "art" loosely).

Ladies, start your engines!

Notice the hysterical laughing going on...
We arrived at Buckley's Lunchbox with bottles of wine, platters of goodies, and our "inner artists" primed and ready to go! We quickly poured our glasses full of vino and picked out an easel. On each easel was an artist's apron, a blank canvas on which newspaper fenceposts were glued, and a styrofoam plate filled with a rainbow of acrylic paints.  We sat nervously at our spots and waited for the class to start. Most of us girls are NOT the artistic type - among the girls we have lawyers, medical professionals, financial professionals, teachers... and ONE art therapist. She just showed up to make us look badly!


The teacher, Lisa, stepped in front of the room and immediately jumped right in. She just started slathering blue and white paint onto the canvas. I looked around and all of us gingerly began dabbing paint on the canvases. It's hard for people who are used to being "perfect" in their work to just let loose and smear paint on the canvas! We soon began giggling and didn't really stop until the class was over. I finally realized that you can't mess it up - you just go with it... The greatest part of the evening was seeing how everyone's final product was totally different from the others.

Meagan
Emily
Catherine (dang her!)
 Most everyone else deviated from the instructor's template, but I realized I'm much more of a "copier" rather than an "artist". In the end, my painting looked exactly like hers. Even down to the color of the flowers. Oh, well. Maybe my artist's eye will develop with more practice!

Patti, Jackie, me, Emily, and Catherine
We had a GREAT time and will definitely be going back soon!

My "work" proudly displayed in the dining room!

1 comment:

Marsha Goodwin said...

You did a fabulous job, and your painting was meant to hang in your dining room...LOVE IT!...I want two canvas paintings in my back bedroom and have been talking to your dad's assistant about painting me two to hand over daybed...Well, I know I need to hire you instead....Hope to see you soon...Love you