Saturday, January 28, 2012

Home improvements!

So I was lazing on my couch this morning perusing Pinterest. My first mistake.

Suddenly, I saw a GREAT idea for a little fun with my front door. I already had all the paint, so I quickly sprang into action - A few minutes later, here was my finished product!All I did was take some leftover blue paint from my TV stand and paint the edges of the front door. Adds a little extra fun:) I shouldn't be so excited, but I LOVE it!


As long as I'm sharing home improvements, here's a few more that I've finished lately... First was my "Meagan's Wall O' Stuff". I've been collecting fun pictures and painting and stuff to fill up an empty wall of the house. I figured that it only took me a year to get things up on the wall... I'm a serious procrastinator.


Some of the "stuff"? A cross-stitched frog that says "When things aren't going your way... PANIC!" My mama made it years ago when she was going through her sewing phase. There's the cork "M" that was another Pinterest idea; some pics of vacations, family and friends; and a couple of oil paintings that were given to Mama and Daddy as wedding gifts. The great part is as I find other treasures or great pictures, I can just add to the wall o' stuff! And don't judge me - I'm not very good at hanging things evenly. I'm more of a "just eyeball it" kind of person when hanging pictures:)

Lastly, when I moved into my house a year ago, one of my favorite things was the fireplace. I have NEVER lived in a house with a fireplace... however, during the home inspection I was told to never burn wood in it or I might burn down the house. I didn't ask questions, just said "Yessir" and vowed to not burn my house down to the ground. So my first significant addition to the house was gas logs for the fireplace.

I began the process a couple of months ago by shopping around for the logs. A salesman told me how to go about getting a gas line run, who to call, getting an inspection, installation of the logs, etc... So I began by measuring for the logs, getting an estimate from the plumbers for the gas line installation, shopping for and purchasing the logs, then calling again to get the plumbers to come to my house for the installation. What was supposed to be a one day job turned into a 3 week long ordeal of frantic work schedule rearrangements, 4 plumber visits, 2 inspections, a couple of calls to the log manufacturers, and 2 new holes in the walls of my home!  It wasn't as easy as I had hoped it would be, but in the end I am ridiculously happy to turn my fire on each evening (even on those 60 degree winter days). And on a side note, my team of two young plumbers showed up the first day to begin running the gas line into the fireplace. I saw a butt crack within the first 5 minutes of their time in the house. Seriously, guys?! Don't we want to battle the stereotypes?! Heavens. Wear a belt.

Here's the finished product...
Fire in the hole!

2 comments:

Marsha Goodwin said...

Love, love, love your pictures of your house..Hate I missed the visit up there the other day but I had to work...Hope to see your house soon...Love you

Patricia Clayton said...

I love the aqua red color combination. Looks great!