Sunday, February 12, 2012

My little Houdini...

My goods from Home Depot
Last Friday night I was leaving right after work to go on an overnight retreat with my community group. It had been raining that day, so Doc (the dog) was covered in mud by the time I got home. He was furious that I wouldn't let him in, and as my friends pulled up into the driveway to leave for the retreat, Doc found a tiny hole in the fence and met us on the front stoop. Dang that dog. I ran back to the backyard and blocked the hole up with the trashcan, wheelbarrow, logs, and anything else I could find... we left, and a short 1-2 hours later I got a call from a neighbor, "I think we have your dog." Ugh. Thankfully, my dear friend Dani Ray went and picked him up and took Doc home for the evening - mud and all. What a lifesaver!


Doc and his escape-proof fence!
As a results, my new home improvement project - fix the fence! I put on a little makeup, some cute clothes and headed to Home Depot Saturday morning (lots of handsome fellas can be found in Home Depot:) where I stalked up and down the aisles for almost an hour to get the 4 items on my list. You read it right - FOUR items... For some reason, I feel that asking for assistance at Home Depot is admitting defeat. I'm always determined that I can find what I'm looking for by myself. It usually doesn't work. After walking up and down each outdoor aisle (it was 20-something degrees outside) and most of the indoor aisles looking for fencing materials, I finally asked a sweet old man to direct me to the fencing. It was on the last aisle on the opposite end of the store - the one place I had NOT looked. I found what I was looking for within a few minutes, then went to find the u-shaped nails. After walking up and down the nail aisle about 5 times, I gave up and went to the paint section. I got my paint then went back to the nail aisle where I finally asked a sweet lady where to find my "u" nails... 5 seconds later I had the nails in my hand. Now I had been in the store for close to an hour, so I immediately asked a good looking guy where to get "a wire cutter thingy." The fella found what I needed in a minute or so, and I headed home! Why don't I just ask for help?

Love!
Today my favorite friend Nick (I tell him he's my favorite when I need help with home projects) came by to help put up the fence. It was so easy! I'm a terrible hammer-er, so many dents were left in the fenceposts, but we all survived! Now my little Houdini is safe again in the backyard...

1 comment:

Marsha Goodwin said...

You amaze me in your DIY projects...So glad Doc is back safe..

Our Johnnie Rebel Bear(Reb)was like that...She kept getting out and we didn't undertand how...Finally I just watched her one day..She was climbing the TREE in her fenced in area of the yard and getting out...So, she became the owner of a chain-link ROOF to her pen...

Hope to see you next time you are home..Love you..