Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A handy woman!

This weekend was the weekend for home improvements! As most of you know, I am NOT the most detail-oriented person, so handyman type work is not a great fit for me. However, I have a few projects that have been weighing heavily on my mind because I want to return from my Fabulous Irish Adventure 2011 with the house in order. Why? I don't know. It makes sense to me.

 A little background information. My main man, Doc, is terrified of fireworks. So when he was inside alone one evening during July 4th weekend, he trapped himself in the bathroom (he thinks toilet water is da bomb) and went C-RAZY... I returned home to this -

That dang dog...

Poor pup. He had clawed through 70+ years of paint and had gouged the wood. Bless his heart. So my bathroom door has been in this state for 3 or so weeks while I kept planning to fix it (procrastination may be my spiritual gift). First, I tried sanding the door by hand, and that was awful. All my fingernails chipped, sweat was dripping off my forehead, and my shoulders were ON FIRE (all after approximately 5-10 minutes of sanding - don't feel sorry for me)! Then I remembered my power drill (yes, I have a power drill:). After a trip to Lowe's AND Home Depot , I had a new sanding attachment for the drill and paint. I cranked that buddy up and had the door smoothed out in no time... but I was sitting in 1/4" of sawdust. Ick. Anyway, 1-2 coats of paint later, here is the final product!
Ta-daa!!
Next project... skin the dog! Kidding... he was due for another haircut. This summer I decided to try my hand at dog grooming because I'm too cheap to pay someone else to do something for me that I can (kinda) do myself. The first attempt at grooming was disastrous. I had to walk poor Doc after dark for a few weeks while the hair grew back in his bald spots. It was sad. But I did not draw blood... that's a positive, right? Anyway, this second attempt was much better. Only one small bald spot, and it is behind his ear. The cut is really uneven, too, but again, no skin showing! Check it out...
Before...

So gross... looks like some animal was viciously attacked on my deck.

After! Looks kinda like an alien...

I also painted some patio furniture and changed my front door's color... but I think you've seen enough. Hope this inspires you to do some productive work around the house - or shave your dog. :)

2 comments:

Marsha Goodwin said...

Love, love, love your blog..Doc looks so much cooler..Your door project turned out great...So proud of you and your productivity..Have a wonderful trip...Love you!

Lyndsey said...

Meagan you make me smile so much, cant wait to hear more!